MrBond's blog

MrBond's picture

High Power Mode

So I've been doing a lot of work recently. Like, way more than usual. I'm talking several 60-hour weeks. Not on game dev stuff, as much as I wish I could, but on my day job.

My regular 9-5. Okay, more like 8 to 5. Recently, more often 8 to 6:30. Then 8 to 8. And weekends. Ick.

Still, I feel better about it now than before. Without going into too much detail, it's a lot of programming work, stuff that, on a very basic level, I enjoy doing. Code, code, code! In recent months, it's almost exclusively been design work - writing about code, user interface, error conditions. Not as exciting to me as actually writing the variables, loops, functions, classes, algorithms, refactoring, and the like. But now, I get to work with those things again! Yay!

Though, in doing so, especially for such long stretches, I've realized (or re-realized, perhaps) that I'm happy because I am in control. Even though I may curse to whatever deity could be listening when it doesn't work (and that is often), I know it is only my fault that it doesn't. Conversely, when it is then fixed and works, I know it is because of me that it does. And that feeling? That feeling makes all the stress and rage absolutely miniscule, as if it never existed in the first place.

This is the profession I chose, where 1% of the emotion obliterates the remaining 99%. I live for those 1% of times.

That's all for now.

(Music of choice - Indie Game: The Movie: The Soundtrack by Jim Guthrie)